Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Explanation

I think everyone guessed pretty close.

I had been at work for about an hour on Thursday when Ann-Michelle called to tell me that someone had just driven through our backyard. I told her I would be right home, but I had no idea what to expect. What I conjured up in my mind turned out (if you can believe it) to be a lot worse than what had actually happened. The subtext for this story is that we just had sod put down in our yard a couple of weeks ago, and the fence built last October, and we got the swingset from Mitch and Jana just a month ago! I was sure every piece of the fence was destroyed and all the sod was ruined!

Well - when I got home the street surrounding our house was coned off and there were policemen on the scene. Apparently what happened is that some lady was driving southbound on Ammon when she blacked out or lost consciousness somehow with her foot still on the gas. She crossed the northbound lane and plowed right through our yard. You can see from the pictures that she went right through one of our gateposts - which is reinforced on 3 sides with a steel beam.

After demolishing the swingset she exited our yard and hit the curb in the church parking lot. Somehow she kept going and finally stopped after hitting a tree in the churches yard.

And thats how it happened. More than anything else we just thankful and relieved that none of our kids were outside at the time.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I am glad that your children were not outside also! Is there any kind of insurance that covers cars driving through your yard? :)

The Freed Family said...

You guys are so lucky that no kids were out...but unlucky that this happened! So what is going to become of the swingset? Hope to see you guys on the 4th.

Roylance Rec. Center said...

WOW! Stupid Lady! j/k I guess you never know when you're going to black out...obviously you are totally grateful no one was outside. i hate when things like that happen I seem to dwell on them and freak myslef out of the "what-if" possibilities. Well, I am glad you're all safe.
Love ya
Ali

Holly said...

That's crazy! Glad no one was hurt. Stuff like that just makes you mad though! Grrr. Hope you guys have a good 4th! :)

Kate Call said...

hey ann-michelle!! its katie (huls)Call. i found your blog and had to leave a comment..
I had no idea you and todd got married.. how lame am i?? i've been so out of the loop of things since high school.. but i guess thats the way it goes huh?!! you guys are SOOO cute.. and look at all your kids.. you guys aren't waisting any time! i love it! you all look so happy. tell todd hi for me!

Unknown said...

So Ann-Michelle... I don't remember if I told you this or not, but you are not dumb! Do you feel better? Actually, remember how you tried to post on my page but you couldn't? My bad, not yours. But now we can be post friends because I fixed it! Thanks! And I'm glad your kids are ok!

jenn said...

you are quite blessed that your kids were not out there! wow! the pictures are nuts! some people really should not be allowed to drive!